Thursday, September 23, 2010

Laughter is the best Medicine

ImageIn preparation and mostly excitement for the coming General Conference I have been rereading former Conference Talks.  This week as I read I came across a Talk I Love.  Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the October 2008 Conference gave the talk called “Come What May, and Love It.”
In the talk he tells of a tough football game lost and and how after telling his mother of the disappointment she gives him the advise to "come what may and love it".

He goes on to give some ways in which we can learn to love even through the hard times. One of these ways is to learn to laugh. "Have you ever seen an angry driver who, when someone else makes a mistake, reacts as though that person has insulted his honor, his family, his dog, and his ancestors all the way back to Adam? Or have you had an encounter with an overhanging cupboard door left open at the wrong place and the wrong time which has been cursed, condemned, and avenged by a sore-headed victim? There is an antidote for times such as these: learn to laugh."

While going through last transfer I somehow hurt my back. I was in so much pain at one point I couldn't move. I went to the doctor and was put on medication to help me relax but would make me a little drowsy. After returning to the apartment I fell asleep only to be woken up by my companion. She told me we needed to go to our dinner appointment and just kept explaining and talking to me. After what seamed forever I interrupted her and said, " I don't know what you just said but I'll get dressed."

My companion started to laugh and I asked, "why are you laughing at me?" She responded it's just a little funny, but you can either be embarrassed now and laugh later or just laugh now. I realized that she was right either way I was going to laugh. So "The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable"

I know as we try to laugh and look for the humor in or own lives that we will be happier and we will learn to Come What May and Love It.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=2fd5a0ad4843d110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

No comments:

Post a Comment