Friday, September 24, 2010

Have you Given Thanks Today?

Luke 17:11-19
 
  11 ¶ And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.
  12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
  13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
  14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.
  15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,
  16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
  17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?
  18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
  19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.                                                     

I Love the story of the 10 Leapers. As a Junior in high school one of my young woman's leader taught of this story and challenge to us to be more thankful the coming week. I took that challenge to heart. When I went back to school the next day I was determined to thank all of my teachers for the time and effort they spent on helping me to learn. During the week I always said Thanks before I left the classroom all but one responded back with a "You're Welcome." The one always seemed shocked when I told him thank you.

At the end of the week, as I exited his classroom he said " You know in my 30 years of teaching I have never been thanked once until the start of this week." I was shocked and he could tell as he said "it meant a lot to be thanked".

I thank my Heavenly Father for all the many blessings he pours out on me daily. And for the Savior Atonement for it is only through him that we can return to our Heavenly Father.  I am grateful for the gospel and for the knowledge I have that Families can be together forever.

So again I ask Have you Given Thanks Today?

1 comment:

  1. Great story! I decided to do that too when I was in high school. Teachers just seem to eat it up when their students thank them.

    I'll bet you thought it was pretty cool that President Monson focused on gratitude in general conference, huh? (elbow, elbow, wink, wink)

    ReplyDelete