Friday, October 1, 2010

Understanding Obedience

The last few days I have been studying obedience in my personal study. I know that our Heavenly Father gives us commandments for our benefit. In the Doctrine and Covenants Section 82: 9-10 we learn that commandments are "directions how [we] may act before [the Lord]." for our own salvation. We also learn that when we obey the Lord is bound or in other words must bless us.

For me, as some of you that know me well can testify, obedience is hard especially when I don't understand exactly why I must obey. Commandments like the Word of Wisdom I know will keep my body healthy and is much easier for me to obey with exactness and not complain about. Or Keeping the Sabbath day holy gives both my body and spirit a day of rest and prepares me for the upcoming week.

Although there are other commandments / rules/ laws I have a hard time obeying with out understanding. For example some of the mission rules I don't fully understand. I don't understand why we can not listen to music other than hymns, primary music, Mormon Tabernacle, and Especially for Youth. It's been a hard struggle for me because there is other music that draws my thoughts and feelings to the Savior.

This week as I studied obedience I learned that it is only through obedience that we obtain any blessing from our Heavenly Father. In Doctrine and Covenants Section 130: 20 -21 it reads "There is a  law irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."

So it hit me! Even though I might not not fully understand why I must obey certain commandments / rules / laws that if I want blessings I must obey. I know that when we obey we will be blessed because the Lord is bound. And now I understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment